We are looking for an emerging leader who is a dynamic self motivated and qualified engineer to fill this key position.
As Engineering Manager you will control all the engineering resources within the garage to ensure provision of sufficient vehicles, to the required standard of reliability, presentation and conditions, for the operational requirements of the garage
You will be responsible for:
• Providing all engineering services within the financial parameters of the garage budget.
• Ensuring all vehicles are maintained to the Company and VOSA required standards throughout the annual cycle of maintenance including preparation for annual PCV examination in compliance with quality system ISO9001.
• Ensuring that sufficient clean and reliable vehicles are available throughout the operational day for allocation for service and provide on-the-road engineering support.
• Constructing and controlling the garage engineering budget in liaison with the relevant departments.
• Controlling and monitoring the principal engineering functions of the garage.
• The management of supervisory, skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled staff including recruitment, training, development and discipline for these employees.
• The negotiation and consultation for all day-to-day matters with local Trade Union representatives.
• The maintenance of garage premises, together with all garage plant and equipment.
• Ensuring adherence to the requirements of current health and safety legislation.
• The development and training of staff under your control.
• The management and control of contractors.
The Engineering Manager’s working environment is essentially fluid, with a base structure of planned maintenance, but there will be a need to deal with a proportion of irregular or unusual events. To control the engineering section effectively, the Engineering Manager must be capable of clearly analysing and defining problems and of making the correct decisions to provide the required and appropriate solutions. The areas in which judgement will be required are wide and varied ranging from technical problems through personnel and local negotiations to stock control and budget interpretation.
The Engineering Manager must have sound practical experience in man management at the appropriate level and a thorough knowledge of all engineering agreements, procedures and rules affecting the garage. He/she must possess leadership qualities, be capable of motivating staff and commanding respect and must be able to work as a team member within the management structure.
The Engineering Manager must be able to work under pressure without close supervision; show initiative and flexibility in dealing with situations as they arise and be capable of understanding and communicating to others the wider aspects of the business. The ability to use or learn modern communications and computer technology is essential.
Ideally, you will be a member of the IRTE or have another relevant professional qualification and hold or be prepared to gain the NEBOSH general certificate and CPC.
Applicants should apply in writing to:
Mr. Des Farthing, Personnel Manager, No18 Merton High Street, London, SW19 1DN, stating clearly the vacancy number (LG577) and the following information:
• Name, current grade, length of service
• Details of previous experience
• Education and relevant qualifications (including any professional or technical qualifications)
Applicants should clearly state any dates they would not be available to attend an interview.
Please note this vacancy will be open to suitably qualified and experienced external candidates.
Closing date for applications: Friday 24th August 2012